Sunday

Day 184: July 3, 2010

Seen Around Chelsea


Had dinner Saturday night in Chelsea, Michigan.  Chelsea is home to Jeff Daniels and his famous Purple Rose Theater (yes, he still lives there, no I didn't see him).  It is ALSO the home (and birthplace of) Jiffy Mix! I had no idea!  I can't tell you how many times those little blue and white boxes of corn muffin mix or white frosting mix saved the day - especially when times were super-tight financially.  This is part of the giant Jiffy Mix factory (and grain towers).  The basketball court in front has nothing to do with the factory, I just liked the juxtaposition.

The shot below I just found amusing.  Apparently, such signs are not uncommon in certain areas of the country, but I hadn't seen any before.  I am still snickering at the need for so many directions on how to use a cross walk properly.  I always thought the whole point of going to just pictures in the cross walk lights instead of words or words and pictures was to aid the illiterate and/or non-native English speaker.  I am not sure how this sign helps!



Chelsea has a lot more to offer - had dinner at a phenomenal restaurant called The Common Grill (named for the owner's last name, and anything BUT ordinary or common); there's a cool self-guided sculpture walk around downtown, a neat clock tower, funky little shops selling eclectic things, gorgeous flowers everywhere, and a cleanliness to rival Disneyland.   

Today's post is up a day late due to getting back home too late to post.  Holding off on the July 4th shot in hopes some fireworks/sparklers shots work tonight - cross your fingers!

No comments:

Post a Comment