Friday

Day 43: February 12, 2010

Irony?


Yet another shot from inside the car while stopped at a red light.  I pass this bench every day on my way to and from work.  It makes me cringe a bit inside each time I see it, but today just made me shake my head and chuckle.  Toledo has been hit especially hard by the recession, we have the highest teen-pregnancy rate in the state, and our former mayor was a laughingstock and embarrassment (he actually wanted to move all the deaf people to the airport area because they wouldn't complain about the noise of the planes).

Don't get me wrong - Toledo does have a lot going for it - we have one of the nation's top ten zoos, top ten art museums (which still has free admission), a vibrant arts community, a symphony orchestra, a great metropark system, and almost no rush-hour traffic jams. (Not to mention a brand-new mayor!)

I'm just not sure how far the sentiment on the bench goes when the city plows snow up to the level of the seat!  Also the word "still" in the slogan just doesn't sit well with me, but maybe that's just me.

1 comment:

  1. That is WAY too funny that your post was about Toledo's failing economy! I have a friend from out of town visiting right now, so we ventured to downtown and we both went on a photo shoot near Fifth/Third field. I honestly can't get over the "donut" effect that is happening in this area. I'm intrigued with the donut effect and since I've left Toledo, the center of the donut seems to have gotten even bigger, even outside the city area and into the surrounding areas like the west and east sides, with newer and modern retail areas are moving to Perrysburg and Fallen Timbers... ? So much retail and manufacturing space just abandoned, or destroyed - gone. What a waste. But hey, it's STILL a great place to live! :)

    ReplyDelete