Friday

Day 57: February 26, 2010

Snowfall at Dusk


Are you sick of snow pictures? Tough.  If I have to see snow falling every day - you do too!

I'd been struggling with trying to capture falling snowflakes adequately - they either became snow bokeh or just disappeared into the background.  I got minimal success the other day with the big fat flakes that drifted down slowly, but tonight..... I had unexpected success!

I went out at dusk - it seemed lighter to my eyes than it appears in the photo above, but a flash was definitely needed.  Guess what? Snowflakes reflect light!  As in light from a flash.  Yes, I know it should have been obvious, but I was pleasantly surprised.  The snow looks like stars in an inky sky.  Now I want to experiment MORE!

5 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Toledonative, FANTASTIC!!! This one is very good. You need to frame it. It has a magical quality about it. Just stunning. Many times a flash overpowers the flakes, but you got it just right. I like the darker background with the white flakes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, this is very cool! It almost looks like a Christmas card, or something from inside a snow globe. I like the one branch that leads across the scene capturing the snow! Makes me feel a little less disgusted with the snow situation around here ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. So.... is this the Wildwood tree? I was driving past there today and I noticed the distinct shape of the branch and wondered if that's the same tree.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yolanda - it is a tree in my front yard! I didn't want to venture very far in the icky weather, lol.

    ReplyDelete