Thursday

Day 49: February 18, 2010

Art Museum Exterior


Today was a field trip to the Toledo Museum of Art's Peristyle theater to see a Young People's Concert by the Toledo Symphony Orchestra. We had to wait quite a while outside while the students at the first performance left the building.  I took advantage of the wait to take a few pictures of the front entrance area.  The museum building has a lot of architectural details like this row of gargoyles atop a row of fluted columns.  I love the color of the patina.

In front of the marble steps leading up to this particular entrance (which leads directly into the theater as opposed to the main museum area), there are various sculptures and this sign:


There isn't actually an underground metro stop here (nor anywhere in Toledo!), but the illusion is fun.

3 comments:

  1. I like the composition of the columns and gargoyles. I like how you focused in on the gargoyles and just the tops of the columns. It's a bit different, and adds a nice layer of texture (and patinas). Great things to shoot at the art musuem. I need to go back there!! Nicely done!

    ReplyDelete
  2. PS: I like the second shot too - the sculpture. They did tell me that you aren't allowed to photograph the sculptures outside the museum (because they are contemporary), But OH WELL! I don't think anyone really cares {shrugs} Who's gonna come chasing outside after you in this weather!?

    ReplyDelete
  3. How odd. I've never been told to not photograph anything outside - I've taken pictures of various exterior things there forever!

    ReplyDelete