Friday

Day 50: February 19, 2010

Words in the Snow


I am almost too angry to write just now.  When I got home last night, it was 8:30 and dark.  My daughter mentioned that she'd seen the words "Welcome Home, I Love You" written in the snow paralleling our driveway when her grandma dropped her off after school.  I thought, "how sweet - must be the neighbor girl's boyfriend or maybe the husband did it for his wife" (we share a driveway).  This morning I got to see the words and also noticed a large heart along the front sidewalk.  

As you can see from the photo above, we have a large double lot with a lot of pristine snow surface.  It must have been too much temptation for someone, because today when I was bringing in the garbage can after work, I saw the REST of the lettering in the snow in my yard.

There is a racial slur and mention of a well-known white-supremacist group as well as references to someone being fat and the word s*x.  I am angry.  Some say it's just bored kids who couldn't resist the canvas that is my snow-covered yard.  I say it's vandalism and a hate crime, regardless of whether I was the target or not (I don't believe it was directed toward me - I do think it was high school aged kids in the neighborhood).  The police agree it is a hate crime and want to come take a statement. 

So I'm waiting for them to show up (could be hours - not exactly a high priority, I realize).

And I realized the only pictures I took today were of the words in the snow (evidence and all that).  So you get the above shot - heavily tweaked on the color balance and contrast sliders.  I kind of identified with the blue cast and the heavy shadows from the trees - mirrors my current mood at the moment.

2 comments:

  1. Update: By the time the police arrived, the offensive words had been rubbed out - glad I got photographic proof!

    Later last night, the neighbor girl's car was egged (she's 19). Her father told me today she is dating a bi-racial man and is pretty sure she knows who is behind this. They are contacting the police today. Sigh.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow. Sorry to hear about that. People can be so rude and disrespectful! Glad you were able to get photos and help out. Hopefully they find the jerks!

    ReplyDelete