Friday

Day 113: April 23, 2010

Zoo Tunnel


Every time I go to the zoo, I say "I miss the tunnel!" This is the preserved entrance to said tunnel - while it's no longer used to get zoo visitors safely from the parking lot to the zoo grounds underneath Anthony Wayne Trail (a 4 lane, divided highway), I assume it's still used to get to various pipes and sewers.

The tunnel was dank and dark - a concrete lined hole in the ground with no ramps - strollers were lifted by strangers down the steps (and then up the steps on the other side).  There was minimal lighting - yellow and flickering.  Water dripped from the ceiling onto your head and there were often puddles to dodge.  Once you got over your fear of the tunnel as a kid, it became the BEST part of the zoo - a wild echo-chamber to run through yelling at the top of your lungs!  It was a little freaky in the middle when you could look up the ventilation grate and hear the cars whizzing by at 50mph on top of your head.  It smelled weird.  It was loud (every kid under 15 was yelling just to hear their echo and every mom was yelling at them to stop and slow down).  But it was THE TUNNEL!

The parking lot is still across the "street" from the zoo, but it's much bigger (and nicer) now and is connected to the main zoo by a covered foot bridge OVER the street.  They've also added more animal exhibits on the parking lot side of the zoo, including the new African Savanna area.  It's all very modern and new and clean but I still miss the tunnel!

1 comment:

  1. I KNEW there was a tunnel! I sort of remember going into a tunnel a long time ago, so now I know I'm not crazy! I like your photo of this cute and unassuming building leading to the scary tunnel! I had no idea that's what that building was :)

    ReplyDelete