Friday

Day 92: April 2, 2010

Monochrome Reflections of a Swamp



I ventured out to Secor Metropark today to see what was blooming.  I had the car windows down as I drove slowly through the park and was drawn to this spot not by the sights of the trees standing ankle-deep in swampy water, but by the choruses of frogs calling to their mates and woodpeckers grabbing a bite to eat.  The air reverberated with their staccato beats.  I stopped the car to attempt to find the source of either sound, but had not luck - and I was NOT about to wade out into the leaf-littered flood plain.

However, I quickly saw the potential in the reflections of the trees in this temporary pond.  I really like how the leaves are visible through the water in the darker reflections of the tree trunks.  This part of Ohio was once known as the Great Black Swamp - and this photo clearly shows why!  The ground was quite spongy around this small area and there were numerous other spots identical to this one throughout the park.

I couldn't decide which color-scheme I liked better - desaturated (top photo) or my attempt at sepia tones (GIMP has no pre-set for sepia).  So you get both!  And I'm also killing two birds with one stone and listing this entry over at Monochrome Weekend AND Weekend Reflections! Go check out both sites - they're both awesome!

10 comments:

  1. The reflections are great in both.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like both ... they are great !

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great shot. I love your idea for a photo a day to remember your 40th year. What a great thing to pass down in days to come.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like the B&W best. Swamps are great places for finding super reflections. Who knew we would both be shooting in the swamp this week. Nice shot.

    ReplyDelete
  5. i prefer the clean colors of the first shot.I enjoyed reading yr post too .Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  6. very nice shot...and i love the thoughts

    ReplyDelete
  7. See what you find when you stop to listen? I'm so glad you did! Beautiful Reflections - the black & white is more dramatic, while the sepia is more mysterious ...

    ReplyDelete
  8. I chose the first one, but then I seldom use sepia. I prefer to convert in Photoshop's Camera Raw (or Lightroom) using Grey scale mix. It gives a whole new meaning to monochrome (and you can add the sepia tones you wish)

    ReplyDelete