Monday

Day 95: April 5, 2010

Creative Legacy


There's a little cemetery that can only be accessed from within Secor Metropark.  From the dates on the tombstones and monuments, I believe it was the first cemetery in that area - many of the dates are completely worn off the tombstones.  There are also newer memorials in the "modern" style - flat rectangles of marble flush to the ground.  I was much more intrigued by the ingenuity and creativity displayed by many of the early settlers in the area, such as the little log cabin above.  The wife's name is on this side of the roof - the husband's was on the other side.  I can only wonder if their home resembled this memorial.

The one that caught my eye as I drove past and compelled me to drive in for a closer look is the "tree" below.  It's not wood - it appears to be ceramic or stone.  The family name is on this tall (maybe 3 meters?) tree with smaller "logs" scattered around it with the names of the man's wife and (I assume) children. 

I found it touching and quite interesting to see these tombstones from long ago - made me really wonder about the first European settlers in the area - who they were and what their lives must have been like.


1 comment:

  1. I have shot in this cemetery before - it was in the middle of winter with lots of snow on the ground, and I wasn't able to capture anything interesting (stark white stones on stark white snow) - didn't really work out for me. But it is in fact a quaint cemetery with lots of character and interesting stones. I remember seeing the little log cabin! I will have to go re-explore now that there's no snow. I like the one you did of the tree, with some of the other stones in the background. I thought I was the only weird one who likes to shoot in cemeteries!

    ReplyDelete