Tuesday

Day 12 January 12, 2010



Meet Newton! Newton is my new classroom Bearded Dragon.  I had another one for 7.5 years, but sadly, Spike passed away from semi-old-age in December.  The kids were heartbroken - the entire school loved him.  So Sunday I drove up to Saline, MI to the home of a breeder of Bearded Dragons and picked out this little guy. Or girl.  Not really sure - it's too young to tell.

It's 5 weeks old and about 4 inches long nose to tail tip.  So tiny! These guys get over 12" long when full grown - that's a lot of crickets and dark leafy greens!  Named it Newton after one of my favorite scientists.

Bearded Dragons are the ideal classroom pet - relatively low-maintenance, diurnal (awake during the daytime), docile, enjoy being held, and really do seem to have a personality.  They hail from Australia which makes me wonder if my readers from Australia think I'm a bit nuts to have one as a pet.

1 comment:

  1. Awe... how cute :) Nice photo of him/her - I like the DoF!

    ReplyDelete