Saturday

Day 9 January 9, 2010



It warmed all the way up to the low 20's today (Fahrenheit) so I ventured out this afternoon to the local Metropark (Wildwood) to see what I could see.   The park is one of my go-to sources for nature shots year round and today did not disappoint.  I love the wooden walkway to the covered bridge - kind of surprised me that the stream was not completely iced over as it's been quite cold for a while now.

There were 6 white tailed deer off in the woods but I did not have my telephoto lens with me (nor does it really deliver on quality photos - it's either me or the fact that it was my dad's and is probably 15 years old) so those shots did not come out well at all.

My fingers got pretty cold despite my gloves and I was worried about the camera as well - I kept it zipped inside my coat when not shooting.  I really need to learn how to use more features of my camera AND invest in better gloves!

I desaturated the shot above in post-processing - the original along with the rest of today's keepers are over on Picassa if you're interested (link in the sidebar).  For more awesome monochromatic photos, head over to The Monochrome Weekly - many, many talented photographers there!

10 comments:

  1. Freezing - but sooo beautiful! Great depth in your picture :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. The sinuous curves make this shot a special one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The curve is most sensuous, TN and that fence going round on the LHS has a gorgeous repeating pattern. I love the shot and it works well in B&W.

    Don't forget to put a link back to Aileni's site for attribution purposes.

    I like the line of patter in your text and am pleased to sign on as your first follower. Good luck with the aim of 365 images for Twenty Ten.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks awarewriter and Julie! Yay! An official follower!

    I did add a link to Aileni's site in my sidebar but will also add it in the text of this post - thanks for the reminder!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful shot in black and white. I love the curve and the way you lead the viewer in. I may have to wander over to Wildwood and see what wonderful things to photograph this time of year. I am here in Toledo for a while. I used to live here, and moved to the west coast 5 years ago. It's nice to be back, and I'm glad I found your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks Yolanda! Welcome back to T-town! The shot above is from the "new" part of Wildwood - corner of Corey and Central - the entrance is East of the main entrance though you can get from one part to another via a path beyond the covered bridge.

    I'd suggest either the blue trail or the new part for photos - that's where I see the most deer and find the best variety of shots. There's also a phenomenal ancient oak tree in the meadow - but bring boots if it's snowy!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great composition - perfect lines and ideal contrast. Appeals to the eye. Cold up here in Toronto (Ontario) too, but refreshing in its crispness (at least in this weather there is no doubt you are alive, if frozen).

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks zemphoto! The cold is bearable with snow on the ground & blue skies.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Pleasing serpentine lines.

    ReplyDelete