Tuesday

Day 19 January 19, 2010



So it was dark when I left the house and nearly-dark when I got home this evening.  Meaning I needed an indoor shot.  I mentioned my kaleidoscope collection the other day - I have about 30.  All are different.  Many are true works of art, signed by the artist.  They are made from a wide variety of materials - wood, plastic, metal, glass.  I love the idea of something that combines both science and art and is meant to picked up, touched, handled, USED - not just looked at from afar.  They can be hard to find, but juried art shows are usually a good starting point.

At any rate, tonight, while my ISP was down (3 hours - grr), I grabbed one of my favorite kaleidoscopes and started shooting.  It's a black and purple metal column with a gorgeous rainbow-hued marble at one end.  Once I loaded the pics to my computer, I realized just how scratched the large hand-blown glass marble was - yuck!  Yay for post-processing and GIMP! I had some fun with filters and learned a bit in the process. 

2 comments:

  1. Woah, that is cool! It almost looks like one of those abstract kinetic shots. Love the brilliant colors! Was it moving or still?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! It was completely still - you can rotate it with your fingers but it doesn't spin.

    ReplyDelete