Friday

Day 71: March 12, 2010

Our Lady Queen of the Most Holy Rosary Cathedral


Tonight was my daughter's Confirmation.  It was held at the above-named Cathedral - the seat of the Toledo Diocese and presided over by the Bishop.  I really want to go back to the Cathedral when I have time to take more pictures of it.  I had to take hand-held shots very quickly tonight before the Mass started.  

The Diocese of Toledo is exactly 100 years old - the Cathedral is a little younger.  My mom told the story tonight of how my grandmother (her mom) grew up in the neighborhood near the Cathedral when it was being built.  She remembers the artists who painted the interior visiting her neighborhood and sketching the girls to use as models for the paintings of angels that adorn the interior.  My grandma is 94 so that gives you an idea of the time period it was built in.

The interior is extremely detailed and colorful.  There are almost too many details to take in.  And example of what I mean can be seen in the photo below.  I may use a few of the other shots I took tonight later this week.


1 comment:

  1. Oh what a gorgeous church!! For some reason I feel like I've been there before - for someone's wedding a looooong time ago... I think. I remember the murals. But I love the way you captured the ceiling in the second shot! I think this would be a great place to go back and shoot more for sure! Great light/exposure in both shots.

    ReplyDelete