Saturday

Day 128: May 8, 2010

Why did everyone want to invite the mushroom to the party?


Because he was a Fun Guy! (say it out loud)


Today was, as Winnie the Pooh said, a Blustery Day.  Cold and windy with showers off and on. (Wind chills in the 30's F....in MAY!)  But I braved the elements and ventured out to Swan Creek Metropark.  The trail I walked is the same one that runs right behind my very first apartment.  I used to sneak through a hole in the fence and walk the trail...19 years ago.  Now there's barbed wire topping a new fence between the trail and the apartment complex. I feel old!

One good thing about this sort of weather is it provides perfect growing conditions for fungi.  I love shooting photos of fungi - there are so many varieties! I've learned you generally have to venture off the beaten path to find the best ones, however, and today was no exception.  I followed a deer trail to down to the water and found these specimens growing on rotting logs.

Sorry for the bad joke, but it does make the 5th graders laugh every year when we study classification!

1 comment:

  1. The fungus amongus... :) Nice joke, btw. I love to eat mushrooms, but the ones that are inedible are still fun to look at and have so many textures and shapes. Nice shots of these fun guys!

    ReplyDelete