Saturday

Day 142: May 22, 2010

Lines of Symmetry


Today was dreary and rainy off and on...again.  After dropping my daughter off at the Zoo for her volunteer job, I stopped off at Walbridge Park across the street.  Walbridge park is a long skinny park along the Maumee river and encompasses several boat docks and lots of picnic areas.  It sits high above the river and has stone steps leading down to it, with two wide, grassy terraces along the descent.  This is the first one and it's lined with benches at very regular intervals, spaced between large trees.  

From the look of the stone buildings and steps, my guess is the park was built in the 30's as a WPA project.  I'm sure at that time one could sit on these benches and see more of the river - today the vegetation has grown too tall to afford much of a view.  Yet people must still sit here as the ground is well worn at the base of each bench in the row.  

I decided to convert the shot to monochrome as the lighting was pretty blah and hazy.  Also, it makes it look like the photo could have been taken when the park was first built - except for the size of the trees!  Do stop by Monochrome Weekend for many more monochrome shots!

This is definitely a place I want to explore further on better-lit days!

9 comments:

  1. Interesting shot. I like the symmetry of the benches corresponding to the trees. If you hadn't mentioned the view It makes me wonder what can be seen while sitting on one of the benches.

    ReplyDelete
  2. wonderful capture and wonderful place!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It must be a lovely place in the sunshine. I like all the lines.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like the great feeling of depth in this one. Depth is our theme for the photo club this month, so I've been thinking about photos that show depth.

    Great work.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great shot! Love the symmetry of the whole photo! I agree with Mike, I'm wondering what you can see from those benches.

    ReplyDelete
  6. this photo make me want to sit and relax on a bench, what a perfect shot for a waiting room.... I love the part of Dr. Suess book Oh the Places You'll Go: the waiting place~~~

    great capture!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great lines of perspective and depth!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the photo. Love it in monochrome.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Such a lovely image! Must be a great place to sit and relax when the sun is out!

    ReplyDelete